Monday, April 14, 2008

The mirror of Erised

A person's inter most desires are what rules our actions and lives. Rowling's book was all about finding inner peace with your life and living life in a virtuous way. The mirror of Erised is a symbol of this idea. The mirror showed whom ever looked into it what that person desired the most. Harry wanted to know his family more than anything in the world so when he gazed into the mirror he saw his entire family. Harry loved seeing his family but Dumbledore warned him that the mirror did not show reality and that many people had become consumed with the mirror be cause it showed them what the wanted most.

I can understand why a mirror with that power could have such a hold on someone. Trying to obtain an inner most desire can drive a person mad if you want it bad enough or if you can never have it. I believe that every one has a strong inner desire even though Dumbledore claimed to only desire a very trivial thing. I am sure that he wanted something a little more profound than socks. He may have wanted world peace or no evil in the world but he had to have wanted more than socks! I understand why Dumbledorf may have wanted to keep his desire to himself. What is in one's sole is very sacred and private. He may have not thought Harry should know about his desire of maybe he just didn't want to share it but I am sure he passionately wanted something.

I would love to be able to look into the mirror of Erised. I want many things but I am not sure what my most desired thing in life is. I think that I want health, happiness and security most but I don't know exactly what that would look like. I think that I might be very surprised by what I saw.

1 comment:

B. Frye said...

Anna, I would love to see your visual as the assignment required. Try to visualize health, happiness and security. Think of symbols that represent those ideals. Thank you.